FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   Register 
Whiskerkitty.com
The Texas Catfishing Resource 
 Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Whiskerkitty.com Forum Index » CATFISH FISHING TIPS » Carp Bait
  The time now is Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:56 pm 

Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Carp Bait Reply with quote

Hooker

Looking for a workable bait for carp (To be used as Cat bait)
Have mixed and tried Corn Flakes and Big Red, mixed well, got very sticky and formed a good ball, formed it on treble hook, 2 min in the water and it totally dissolved, also let it dry out, also frozen, nothing seems to work, what am I doing wrong? Would egg whites help?

"Happiness is more important then spilled Jelly"

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Carp Bait Reply with quote

Anonymous

Hooker, it's not Corn Flakes and Big Red....It's Wheaties and Big Red....There is one heck of a difference. Corn Flakes will dissolve much easier than Wheaties.

And, don't overdo it with the Big Red...Just dampen those Wheaties down and start kneeding.

MikeC

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:50 am    Post subject: Carp Bait Reply with quote

DAHOSS2002

Hooker, I aint ever fished for carp but some folks around here use kernels of corn out of a can. They just thread em on a bream hook.

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Carp Bait Reply with quote

Anonymous

Hooker, I have been thinking about your, "dissolving in a few minutes" statement. I'm wondering if fish may be dissolving this bait for you? Or, at least contributing to it dissolving so quick.

There is a few thing if you are trying to carp fish with this bait. You need to use a spinning reel, a #8 or #6 treble at the largest, and absolutely no weight.

We used to flip this bait out on still water and let the line just float and leave the bail on the reel open. When the line starts sinking quickly you just get ready. But, don't set the hook until the carp has pulled a few loops off your bail. And, even then don't set it real hard. Just kind of pull back and start reeling. Remember, they are very soft mouth fish.

MikeC

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Carp Bait Reply with quote

TXCATFISHGUIDE

Hooker

Do a search on Google for Carp Boilie Recipes.

There are hundreds of variations of these but all the same basic premise, a dough ball with scent and flavor, which you boil for a few minutes.

Very effective.

I know a fella that makes these with hamburger and blood and uses them for cats on trotlines and does pretty well.

Walking that dog, kicking that cat, shallow water is where the fish are at!!

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Carp Bait Reply with quote

Hooker

Thanks for all the advice, didnt take me long to see my entire operation was flawed....Now on with the game---IF the weather would cooperate.

"Happiness is more important then spilled Jelly"

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Carp Bait Reply with quote

hillbgcntry

hooker , i know this is going to sound complicated but it really isn't and is reusable and good for channels as well.
You take 10 to 15 cotton balls from your wife
shred them up into strands
Have 1 package of strawberry/ rasberry jello into a bowl
pour 2 cups of sugar into bowl
pour floour as well (3cups)
Maybe more
Put water in as needed to make almost bubble gum texture
slowly mix in the cotton strands until you can't almost stir it
the end product should be a pink bubble gum with cotton strands all over it and place this on a #4 treble.
This is really dynamite!
Put it in the freezer in aziploc when your done after fishing.
I wear this stuff is absoulrly the best ever.
I got tired of fishing for rainbows when i was stationed in colorado, and i became proficent at catching those suckers with this mixture, Set the lake pueblo record at 33lb 6oz. And caught many more that came close.
I just now got back from catching four little 3lbers to use for cut bait on my jugs with this same concoction.
If there are any quetions email at hillbgcntry@hotmail.com
I really will tell you this stuff is by far the best
Goood luck big country

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Carp Bait Reply with quote

Anonymous

Hooker,
You old fort!
Obie makes the best carp bait you can get anywhere in the world! Talk nice to him and maybe he will get a little to ya.
He don`t sell it cause it`s a pain to make but he catches carp ALL the time for cut bait.

I`m watching you!!!
Pinky

darrellt@catfishkiller.com

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Carp Bait Reply with quote

obiewan57

Hooker, I need to get you a pattyof my bait to try. It is a little complicated to make, but I catch buffalo, carp, and even catfish on it...Of course the easiet is Bran flakes and big red, and that seems to target mostly carp, then the other fish. I think it is how you mix the mix also, you said yours fell off the hook from disolving, and when I tried Corn flakes with big red, they turn into rubber balls hard enough to bounce, so obviously you and I were mixing to a different consistency.

My recipe for the bait makes about 150 patties of bait, so I will have to break it down for you, but some of the ingredients are:

Cottonseed Meal, Oatmeal, floating catfish food, bran flakes, Peter pan flour, big red, thick syrup, vanila, hog wild flavoring, apple treet, cream style corn, anise oil, eggs, corn starch. Floating catfish feed comes in 50# bags, so you can see how the formula gets kind of hard to collect some of the ingredients.

I will tell you it starts out by heating up the big red, adding some oatmeal and cooking it till it is good and slimy.

email me your address and I will mail you a patty to try. I freeze it and then refreeze it fi not used on an outing.

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Carp Bait Reply with quote

Tex

I happened to read an article in the Austin American Statesman many years ago about Carp Fishing........They swore by Brand Flakes and Orange Crush.....Said they caught too many cats using the Big Red.....

It works great...

"YOU GOTTA SET THE HOOK"

TOP   BOTTOM

Whiskerkitty.com Forum Index » CATFISH FISHING TIPS » Carp Bait
 Page 1 of 1

Jump to: