FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   Register 
Whiskerkitty.com
The Texas Catfishing Resource 
 Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Whiskerkitty.com Forum Index » CATFISH FISHING TIPS » Perch Trap
  The time now is Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:31 pm 

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Perch Trap Reply with quote

jackieblue
Catman

This is the ticket for catching perch, it will outfish a round perch trap about 10-1. Its 24 inches square and 12 inches tall. The throat is pinched in the middle in order to meet state regulations of a 4 inch throat.
These traps are available at most bigger bait shops, get the four throat and not the two.Tthey can easily be built out of rabbit wire and the crimpers and rings that are sold at Tractor Supply.

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Perch Trap Reply with quote

etex johney

That's the type Brim Traps I use. I think I got 8 of them.
Here's a couple of things you can do that will help them catch more Brim. If your making them yourself and their 12" tall, leave the 2 center wires. Start above the top wire and make your 3" opening. Then go below the bottom wire and mesure another 3"opening. Do this on all 4 sides. They will have twice the openings and still be legal, because all your openings will be 1x3" and that's what the law requires. There's nothing that says how many openings you can have.
Here's another tip.
If your making your own traps, instead of making all your traps 12" high, make some 6" high. You can put short traps in real shallow water and they can be covered easier with water, and catch brim in shallow areas that your 12" traps would be 6"above the water.
I always keep my traps totaly covered and out of site. They seem to last longer.

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject: Perch Trap Reply with quote

TxRooster

What do you bait 'em with?

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Perch Trap Reply with quote

slaphappy

Question: Since perch traps can only be used in salt water, wouldn't the above trap be a minnow trap if used in fresh water?

And if its used in fresh water, the 4 inch throat restriction wouldn't apply right??

I built a few traps this week and this post has made me nervous that I'm gonna have to redue the necks but I'm not sure if that's right.

Slap

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Perch Trap Reply with quote

alh942

What do think are the best baits for these Perch traps? Could you share a couple with me. Thanks in advance and may the big ones bit for you

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Perch Trap Reply with quote

etex johney

Jimd,
I'm sorry but I don't own a camera. If I had one, I'd post pictures for you.

I'll try to explain again.

Let say you are making your trap out of 1/2 inch hardware cloth, and your traps are square, which gives you 4 sides, with 4 places to make your funnels for your openings. Lets say your trap is to be 12 inches tall. After you get the top and bottom on your trap, with the 4 funnels on 4 sides and your ready to cut your openings on all 4 sides. First, find the middle of your trap by counting the wires and find dead center. Pick the 2 wires that's in the center and measure (from the center top wire)up 3 inches and cut your opening. Then from the (center,bottom wire)and cut another 3 inch opening.
That will give you 2 openings per funnel, which is 8 openings total. You will still have the 2 center wires that dividing your 2 openings in each funnel.
This will allow bait to enter your trap, high or low.
By the book, your openings can't be any larger than 1 inch by 3 inches. It don't state how many openings per trap.
Most traps are built with only 1 opening per funnel, which is 4, dead center of the funnels.
By building your own traps, and them being 12 inches tall, you've got room to put 2 openings per side.
I've been making my traps for years, with 2 openings per side. They will catch more bait made this way, and their still legal.

ETex Cool

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Perch Trap Reply with quote

etex johney

JimD,

I'm sorry you don't understand what I'm saying. I don't know how I can explain It any better or different. All I can say it re-read my last post until you understand. Maybe someone you know can read it, and understand what I'm saying and explain it to you.
Sometimes It's hard for me to put in print what I need to. I'm better at fishing than I am typing. LOL, And not to good at that, at times.

ETex Cool

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Perch Trap Reply with quote

JimD

I see what you did. I had never looked at how they built the trap to begin with. I now see a top and bottom with sides correctly.

Thanks,

Jim

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Perch Trap Reply with quote

heycods

2Ea opening per funnel each is 1"x3" These openings are devided by 2 upright wires, You end up with 8ea 1"x3" openings and 4 funnels? right.

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Perch Trap Reply with quote

JimD

ET J
Figured out what you were saying and built one in the rounded clover leaf design and it is great with the extra 4 holes.

Thanks for the adivce.

Jim

TOP   BOTTOM

Whiskerkitty.com Forum Index » CATFISH FISHING TIPS » Perch Trap
 Page 1 of 1

Jump to: