FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   Register 
Whiskerkitty.com
The Texas Catfishing Resource 
 Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Whiskerkitty.com Forum Index » CATFISH BOAT TALK » Amount of Prop below boat
  The time now is Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:22 am 

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Amount of Prop below boat Reply with quote

Lawki

I would like to know how far below the bottom of the boat the prop should be sitting. How much of the lower unit should be exposed under the boat?

Hopefully this pict will help:
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgAIAykVPu6kXxVXivpr6EM2VlEg9RBl2qAPFVyXmIT5MEpWKUjmemVv63lrTCQBJtxkGRazOob7399AHnSs!1WMfdY662VFsdqUu8wbvPo/prop0.JPG?dc=4675515361881250193[/img]

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Amount of Prop below boat Reply with quote

jackieblue
Catman

The cavitation plate/anticavitation plate, just above the prop should be even with the bottom of the boat. At lest thats what I have always been told, my current Yamaha 40 on a 17' modified vee is set up like that. Therefore all the prop is below the bottom of the boat.

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Amount of Prop below boat Reply with quote

RG

You'll know pretty quick if it's too shallow. On a plain bottom ole hull, follow Jackie's advice. I tried to set mine too high and found it ran really good at low speed but soon as water started flowing fast, cavitation took over and, well it's pretty imbarrasing to tell you the truth. :rolleyes:

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Amount of Prop below boat Reply with quote

etex johney

RG and Jackie is right. Like RG says, you'll know if it's too high. The motor will scream with high rpm's if it's too high. Even with the bottom or just below is a good place to start. I'm talking about the first flat plate, just above the prop.

ETex Cool

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Amount of Prop below boat Reply with quote

Lawki

Thank you guys for the advise and help. I will have to check and see if the motor sits like it is supposed to and see if it is sitting to low. Thanks!

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Amount of Prop below boat Reply with quote

jackieblue
Catman

My new boat will have zero amount of prop below the boat.

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Amount of Prop below boat Reply with quote

Lawki

Sounds like we need to have a picture or two of this new high powered machine.

Congrats!

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Amount of Prop below boat Reply with quote

jackieblue
Catman

Its a tunnel hull, still getting wire cutters to sneak it out the back.

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Amount of Prop below boat Reply with quote

RG

I was over in Gatesville here while back, just visiting...not a guest, and went by Deckboat to get some parts for an old model. The feller took me out to a warehouse where they had a prototype bay rig they was working on. Basically, it was just a deckboat with a tunnel hull. The bottom of the prop was pretty much even with the bottom of the boat. They claimed it would run in six inches of water. Knowing how wide and flat these things are, I don't doubt it would.

Jackie, let me know if you need someone to hold the flashlight while you work over that fence.

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Amount of Prop below boat Reply with quote

mfclark(mudcat)

I had a 1998 23' center consoled Red Fin with a 115 Johnson mounted on a jack plate. This boat had a very deep tunnel under it. It would easily run in 6" of water. In deep, rough water it would beat you to death. The way I fish, I wouldn't own another tunnel hull on a bet. My present boat is a 19' Blue Wave V bottom. I run it in 2' of water all the time.

TOP   BOTTOM

Whiskerkitty.com Forum Index » CATFISH BOAT TALK » Amount of Prop below boat
 Page 1 of 1

Jump to: